Friday 20 February 2009

Most loved and most hated ad of the week

Most loved...



I realise that the strategy is not exactly groundbreaking but I think this advert is a genius use of intertextuality. It just fits so well and that damn tune gets embedded in my head every time I see it. I think that 118 118 have done so well to build up a fun and iconic brand for what is ordinarily a boring service. The 118 118 guys have almost become a cult in themselves with their get-up becoming increasingly popular for fancy dress. Okay, the ad doesn't really lend itself to a long running campaign but as a one off I think its great!

Most hated...



I just don't understand how anyone could have ever thought that this advert was worthy of air-time, seriously, its just so awful. It actually makes me cringe...I'm guessing that whatever creative team came up with this is probably trying to erase it from their memory! I think most are agreed that the best ads come from a key insights, a product/consumer truth...someone tell me, where is the truth in this advert? What young child do you know that would actually notice, let alone care if the bathroom smells of 'bathroom' or 'soft petals'?! I thought that the aim was to get your target market to identify with your advert and the characters so that they can see how the product would fit into their lives. If this is the case then this advert fails miserably!!



2 comments:

SoledOutCustoms said...

i like to think to best afverts either come from vadbueys, sony or drunk people

SoledOutCustoms said...

by the way that world in there was meant to read 'cadburys' not vadbuets, im not too sure what that is!